Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Prime Minister at LARGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prime Minister at LARGE

Originally posted by britisha:
    [qb]
    Originally posted by neutral:
    [qb]
    Originally posted by McIntosh, ONE:
    [qb] UNWORD PJ!!!! WE ARE proud to have you as our leader [/qb]
    You forgot to add.. thou great one,long may the sun shine from your anal passage,we are not worthy to sniff the sweet aroma of wind that emits from your back orifice,or taste the patties that are made from your excellency`s stools [/qb]
    Oh dear, I figured you were capable of a very many things, [/qb]
    That`s the beauty of being a member of a cyber bulletin board britisha,...everyone "knows" everything about everyone,....and what they are "capable" of...isnt life marvelous.

It must be great standing above the fray looking down,observing,untainted, safe in the knowledge that one is above such mere human frailities,shaking one`s head while everyone around you swim in a cesspool of wickedness and debauchery.

ps:My comments above to mcintosh one was meant as a little lighthearted humour,but I sometimes fail to realise that humour around here is a luxury that can sometimes be wasted,especially in the PC climate this board is undergoing.
    bigger badder and browner !

Comment

[qb]
      [qb]
      You forgot to add.. thou great one,long may the sun shine from your anal passage,we are not worthy to sniff the sweet aroma of wind that emits from your back orifice,or taste the patties that are made from your excellency`s stools [/qb]
      Oh dear, I figured you were capable of a very many things, but not this...**cawk mi nose*** Diss mek my missing ((friend)) look like an altar boy.. [/qb]
      Well their is a saying that a mind has to express from where it is!!
      What a level to be,i can't even imagine!!
      Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

my Jamaican breathrens and sistren, What happen you think that material things are more better than a plate of food and a good education. Have you forgotten that Jamaica and other latin american and carribean countries are not poor because because they choose to, it is because of the capitalist juggernaut of the past that used political tricks and manipulations, it is because of this system why latin america and the carribean and the world at large is so late in its uprizing, so if Jamaica is able to pay off some of her depth and continue up words, I am proud of this fact. why are you so quick to lash out against this statements, I think you all need to stop and think, and by stating this I am not putting you down, but the fact that Jamaica continue to grow through hardship, it show that we have a strong leader, I know some countries that claim to be rich because they have great pavilions, criss cars, and alot wealth
        , but yet there are millions of half starving people(women and children)
        running around trying to get food to eat, they call these people homeless because they live on the streets. I am not saying Jamaica don't have these problems but the thing is Jamaica is a growing country, with a growing attitude, so if we are able to continue to grow then UNWORD!!!

. If I'm guilty of the fact of been proud of this, then crussify me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , JAMAICA NOW!!! Jamaica tomarrow!!!! Jamaica forever and for ever and ever, by the grace of all that is GOOD!!!!! and we will continue to grow. and we are capable of helping others on our way then we will do so, because we are part of HUMANITY, if one day we can reach the stars, then we will be there. UNTILL VICTORY ALWAYS!!
        JAMAICAN

Comment

forgive the type O's that are in my post, typing fast I really don't realize untill I post and read over.
          JAMAICAN

Comment

All I can and will say is this, the "English language" though beautiful to read at times can be so jolting and descriptively honest, when used to get certain points across...

------------------
            Modesty is not only an ornament, but also a guard to virtue : Joseph Addison

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dudd:
              [qb]
              [qb]
              [qb]
              Oh dear, I figured you were capable of a very many things, but not this...**cawk mi nose*** Diss mek my missing ((friend)) look like an altar boy.. [/qb]
              [/qb]
              There`s also another saying.... "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. "

Comment

We tend to measure sucess from the failures we know.
                Tosh obviously has a snout in the trough, else he would be more aware of the failures befallen on Jamaica present compared to Jamaica past.
                Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

[qb]
                  [qb]
                  [qb]
                  [qb]
                  [/qb]
                  There`s also another saying.... "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. " [/qb]
                  And judging from your the content of your statement previously,you did what was appropriate to your standing!!
                  Join me as members of the church of LOVE,and let us change the world, one good deed at a time.

Comment

[qb]
                    [qb]
                    [qb]
                    [qb]
                    [qb]
                    [/qb]
                    There`s also another saying.... "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. " [/qb]
                    And judging from your the content of your statement previously,you did what was appropriate to your standing!! [/qb]
                    Lol,..punching above your intellectual weight once again I see.

Comment

Bangarang chat as said by Jamaica`s future Prime Minister, Dr. Omar `Clueless` Davis. Please read article out of Sunday Observer, today 28th August, 2005:-The free press and the rule of law

Claude Robinson
                      Sunday, August 28, 2005

In a week when a school principal and a classroom teacher are killed in incidents connected only by the venality of the crimes, the story of police interference in the work of a free press, reported on TVJ Prime Times News Monday night, seems like a minor irritant unworthy of serious comment.

Claude Robinson
                      And perhaps it is because the story has failed to attract the kind of media attention that Finance Minister Dr Omar Davies drew unto himself and the political class when he threatened unspecified 'bangarang' if the press 'went after' members of his family who work in the public sector.

But I was drawn to the story of the alleged assault on TVJ cameraman Eldorado Mullings because, like the Davies outburst and the mindless killings of Boscobel primary school principal Manning Marsh and classroom teacher Delta Bailey of Windward Road, it seems to be taking us down a road from which we should turn sooner rather than later.

As reported, with supporting footage, the cameraman was videotaping a police operation, removing unauthorised street vendors in downtown Kingston earlier that day. Some members of the police party objected to the filming, and at least one of them struggled with Mullings for the camera and eventually took it away. It was later returned to the station.

Kay Osborne, TVJ's general manager says the station has asked for a written apology to the company and Mullings because the alleged assault and the (admittedly temporary) confiscation a news camera engaged in covering a legitimate news event in the public interest constitute an unacceptable interference by the police into the working of the press in a free society. She is right.

Up to late Thursday, when I checked, there was no word from the Constabulary Communications Network about the incident.
                      In the absence of a better explanation from the police or a contradiction of the TVJ report I can only conclude that the action was an attempt to prevent exposure of something that at least some members of the police party would rather keep secret. If that is so, we have to ask why.

Even the most casual viewer of the nightly news on both TVJ and CVM would be familiar with video footage of the seemingly endless struggles between police efforts to enforce the law and resistors justifying their lawbreaking on the grounds that it is the only way to 'eat a food'.

Maintaining order in public spaces such as, insuring that street vendors sell in designated areas, is a major problem for the Jamaican police. In this file photo, vendors demonstrate in downtown Kingston against attempts by the authorities to relocate them.

One night taxi drivers are complaining that they cannot operate within the terms of their licence because it is unprofitable so they should be allowed to 'run wid it'.

Another night it will be vendors explaining that if they stay in the designated areas they will not be able to pay school fees, buy books or meet any of the other horrendous back to school costs which are once again upon thousands of parents who are genuinely at their wits end bearing the burden of helping to pay for the children's education.

In these circumstances policing cannot be easy when they are really being called upon to arbitrate issues that are deeply rooted in the economic and social deprivation in which many of the people they are trying to police find themselves.

This is further compounded by a popular mood in the country seems to legitimise law breaking for the higher moral good of 'eating a food'.

But, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, the law is a shackle in the sense that fair, predictable and impartial enforcement of just rules is the bedrock of civilised society. That applies to all us but even more so to those who have the awesome power to make the laws and those entrusted with the responsibility to enforce them.

The police must act within the law when they have to remove vendors from clearly designated unauthorised areas. In the absence of further and better particulars one can only conclude that the operation on Monday may have used or threatened excessive force, hence the desire not to have it televised.

My own impression from watching coverage of similar events is that the police generally act with restraint in doing what must be a most disagreeable job.

That's why we need a clear and unambiguous statement from Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas. He must either justify the alleged action against the TVJ cameraman or apologise for it. If the police acted properly he should say so. If they did not, he should say so.

In a country where the rule of law is under severe threat, policing is difficult enough and requires the support of well-thinking citizens. That task should not be compounded by appearing to threaten one of the instruments of democratic governance, namely, a press that has a duty to bawl out when it sees wrong doing.

Which bring us back to Dr Davies' 'bangarang' speech on which he was again challenged this past week when he appeared on Nationwide Wednesday night in the first of a series of discussions with the contenders for leadership of the People's National Party. Putative front-runners Peter Philips and Portia Simpson Miller are scheduled to appear over the next two weeks.

Responding to a direct suggestion that his remark was a threat against press freedom Davies; "No threat was made, in that way. What I am saying was I would come out fighting and defend them".

Davies ignited a bit of a firestorm at a campaign event in Port Antonio recently when he took issue with press reports and commentary over the resignation of the prime minister's son, Richard Patterson from the scandal-rocked National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA). He warned that there would be "bangarang" if the media "went after" members of his family who hold public sector jobs.

His comments have been discussed in the context of some other public officials questioning the media's handling of stories related to them.

Prime Minister Patterson took issue with a Sunday Gleaner report which detailed the $21 million spent on overseas travel over a four-year period and Kingston Mayor Desmond Mayor McKenzie questioned a Sunday Herald report which questioned the operations of the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation.

None of these reactions, in my view, could be considered as threats. The Davies reaction, however, was placed in the 'threat category' not only because of the emotion-laden 'bangarang' (which Opposition Leader Bruce Golding had previously used with regrettable consequences) but because he seemed to imply that a group of public officials should be immune from scrutiny because they were connected to senior politicians. This is obviously unacceptable.

Equally, no one - whether public official or connected person - should be the subject of character assassination, unfounded allegations or rumour mongering. The constitutional protection of freedom of expression does not give either the citizen or the press the right to bear false witness against anyone.

As the Observer editorial commented on Dr Davies' speech; "[The] free press, in a democratic society - reserves the right to criticise, and to call to account, any member of any family or any official, as it seeks to carry out its side of the compact with the society which it seeks to serve."

In carrying out that watch dog role the press is going to 'trouble' people from time to time. But we must be fair. We cannot cut anybody's throat like a Rottweiler gone mad.

When the press is unfair and plain bloody minded then Dr Davies, like anyone else who feels aggrieved, should defend himself vigorously. I was pleased to hear him say that this does not require "bangarang" against the press.

In addition to being fair, we must be lawful. All of us - press, politician, police and public - have to uphold the rules by which we agree to share a civilised community.

Claude Robinson is Senior Fellow in the Research and Policy Group, Mona School of Business at UWI.
                      [email protected]
                      Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X