Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Rental Car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rental Car?

no worries there, the ladies at island car counter won't accept cards that don't cover. they have a list of what card covers and what does not . . .

i did my own research before i started renting and got this card specially for my jamaican car coverage.
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

Comment

Thanks for the info Jitterbug.
      Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif

Comment

You will want to verify with your individual credit card company if they will cover a car in Jamaica because most will not. There are a few different rate plans you can buy fairly cheaply depending on how much of a deductible you want to pay should you have a problem.

Make sure you go over the car with a fine tooth comb at the signing and have the person who gives you the car make a written note about every dent, ding and scratch and I'd always check to make sure the spare tire is in good condition should you need it.

You will only want to have licensed drivers driving the car too. Learners permits are not acceptable either I don't think. If you let a Jamaican friend drive the car and he has no drivers license and there is an accident, the insurance will be void.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In honesty I am a pretty good driver have driven on the the left side in other countries, but I was always discouraged from renting cars in certain areas because of the human factor as in theft, vandalism, etc. ,but that happens here also, I think I might bite the bullet.

How do you think I'd look in a red Jimmy. LOL </div></div>

Go for it. Like Laurel said, it is very liberating.
          Time on the island is so precious, I hate it when I have to sit around and wait for a ride , especially if we are heading somewhere I am anxious to get to.
          7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
            Hey MG, I didn't see a trip report from you. </div></div>

soon come.
            <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Comment

I called my US insurance company to try to ramp up my US coverage to cover me during my first Ja car rental experience - Jamaica is one of the countries they will not cover ~

Comment

mbna platinum (canada) covers . . . i spent a lot of time searching credit card companies that are covering jamaica, came up with only two. chose mbna platinum and it's good to go.

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                april 04, 2012

Comment

check out the following link comparing American Express, Discover, Visa and Mastercharge credit cards

as of March 2008 - Jamaica is excluded by all

maybe the rules are different in Canada

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...icies-1273.php

Comment

Good Golly - I sure hope all this chat regarding rentals and insurance is not gonna jinx me ..... with my luck tho - I better get outta here.

so far - no problem issues with my check card and my taking the 1/2 fee insurance ~

prayfull that will continue -

Comment

yes, seveen, mbna platinum(canada) covers. also reduces the deductible to 500. the only reason this company got my business.

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                      april 04, 2012

Comment

well there is no mbna in the usa - bank of america bought them out - i worked on that transition

Comment

question off-topic ...

Jitters - did you ever find a fabulous Vuitton Bag??

I watched Sex &amp; the City over the weekend and they were chatting Vuitton Bags &amp; BagBorrowOrSteal ... I just Google'd that site ... yikes - still too much $$$ for me to even 'borrow' from them ~

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
                            well there is no mbna in the usa - bank of america bought them out - i worked on that transition </div></div>

seveen, i'm not an expert and don't know about who bought out who, i do know that i hold an mbna(canada) and that's who holds my coverage whom i pay to after the fact. everything else, i don't know . . .

hey laurel, i did find one but could not justify spending $4200us on it. thought about how many ja trips i could do instead . . . so it go . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                            april 04, 2012

Comment

I think the first time I even touched one was that afternoon with you .... and that one WAS FABULOUS

just one more thing that gets 'weighed' against trips to Jamaica!!

so it goes ~

Comment

Hi guys! We researched last year for our trip and found a card through Bank of America that covers the insurance on rental cars. It is the World Mastercard with World Points. My husband's other mastercard no longer was covering the insurance so we needed to find a new one.
                                Live each day, each moment to the fullest with your whole attention..

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X