Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Rental Car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rental Car?

hi schuttzie

i guess that's what seveen was talking about. in canada, the same card is called mbna platinum (canada). that's the only card that covers jamaica from canada. am grateful.

looks like i'll miss you this year.
    better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
    april 04, 2012

Comment

Hey, Jitters! I'm so sorry I won't meet up with you again.. This girls remember you fondly, too.

Take care!
      Live each day, each moment to the fullest with your whole attention..

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizi_Quagmire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have access to my own cars there now so need to rent.

But when I used to..<span style="font-weight: bold">my dad used to call an smaddy come </span>a de airport an meet mi wid de rental an mi <span style="font-weight: bold">drop it off back a de airport inna one lot</span>. </div></div>

Sound like a bandulu sintin deh!
        Massa L. ave 'wasta' eeh?

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Island Car Rental only covers insurance using a gold mastercard. </div></div>

I use Island Car Rental every time, a couple of times a year. The main reason is that the customer service is good, the cars are good, the prices are good and consistent, and they have many branches in case you want to drop off and pick up in different places or have any problems.

From North America they have an 800 number that you call, and most of the time they will call you back from Toronto, where they have a rep with a quote. However, if you want to change the reservation later, you call the branch where you picking up directly.

For those of you used to renting in North America where they never check for dents and such, that is not the case in the rest of the world. Make sure all pre-existing damage is marked on the sheet before you leave. (Although I must say I have once gotten away with a scratch that somebody made while I had the car, and the trick was to return the car after dark, so it wasn't easy to see )

Also one time mi catch a flat. I took the tire to vulcanization and put it back in the trunk same way mi find it. If you don't get it fixed yourself they will charge you.

As far as credit cards and insurance goes...
          My Platinum MC used to cover JA. However, in an unrelated incident, my rental car was stolen in London a few years ago. I used that same card for insurance purposes and it was a total fiasco. I was £1000 out of pocket for nearly a year before I finally got re-imbursed. The amount of phone calls and botheration that it required to get the situation resolved was not worth the hassle. I canceled that credit card afterwords (is vex dem vex mi bad) and I don't rely on cards for insurance again. If the basic insurance is small I take it, and in some cased you just make a calculated risk by going without insurance.

However I thoroughly enjoy driving in Jamaica. Contrary to public belief, the drivers are good and for the most part excercise courtesy on the road. Yes the will overtake and to an untrained eye seem to 'linga' in the wrong lane for too long, but as long as your driving is consistant and predictable, you will be ok.

In my years of dealing with Island Car Rental I never had any problems, and can recommend them. They offer 10% discount if you are in the travel/hospitality industry.

The freedom that a vehilce gives you in Jamaica is priceless!

Comment

All good and well to say, but look out for drivers making an exit off and entering another road. They tend to swing widely into the corner as if they are towing a trailer.
            Also if you drive before sunrise and after sunset, look out for drivers that do not switch their lights on until it`s completely dark.
            Look out for the drivers that do not dip their bright lights even when you counter-blind them back with yours.
            Look out for the double parkers conversing casually abreast in not only one lane but in two lanes abreast.

However, most drivers will stop or slow down and let you merge into traffic. They will flash headlights in the day warning that a police spot check is on your approaching lane...so get back within the speed limit.
            If your vehicle stalls or shuts down, look out for an ever present good samaritan, especially if you are a lady.
            Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

Good points Q.

Weh mi deh now cutting into the front of an exit lane is standard procedure. But when mi inna Jamaica it seem as thou a mi one cut into the bottleneck that form uppa barbican every afternoon. So now mi start feel guilty and mi jus a wait in line with everybody.

Comment

magic, i agree with everything you say . . . a car in jamaica is insanely valuable to a traveller . . . also agree on the skills of jamaican drivers, excellent!!

i love island car rental.
                better to want than to have . . .

next reach dec. 28, 2011
                april 04, 2012

Comment

Avis is good too according to what I have heard. Clean and reliable cars and staff that are on top of their job.
                  Let freedom and peace abide, the sun shine, and your love beside me with you everytime.

Comment

Avis is good, I agree. We had to use them after arriving and finding the original rental people didn't have any vehicle for us that we'd reserved 4 months in advance. We went around the airport asking for the best price and Avis treated us very well.
                    Live each day, each moment to the fullest with your whole attention..

Comment

Lots of good information here...I think I'll leave this thread where I can find it for future reference
                      Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of good information here...I think I'll leave this thread where I can find it for future reference </div></div>

Kind of nice to be running things, Huh Dave?
                        Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif

Comment

Say Orbra - did you rent pon your last reach??

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of good information here...I think I'll leave this thread where I can find it for future reference </div></div>

Kind of nice to be running things, Huh Dave? </div></div>

oh, sure, it appears very glamourous, but what you don't see are all the late nite meetings and conference calls, not to mention the endless paperwork....and maintenance on the country bus is an every day occurence...

Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laurel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say Orbra - did you rent pon your last reach??

</div></div>

No Laurel, I guess it was too late, because when I made the reservation, they put me on a list, for the car I requested. I have been told that I ride by the seat of my pants, but I have a bad habit called impatience, and no document in hand for verification is like no reservation . Plus we got in so late I wanted my ride there when we got there, and ended up leaving him, which is another story. Totally my fault. Miss having my ducks in a row. Not. Maybe when my ladies come to stay.

Bandanna if you plan to rent a car make sure you do it in a timely manner, for your time frame there might not be enough cars. Just a thought.

Hey Dave ,You know you're the man, runnin tings or not.
                              Life is an Adventure, so you might as well ride it till the wheels fall off.

BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD CALLED LIFE.

Soon come Chapter 2.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/yahoo.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70371-jump.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dance01.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/proud_jamaica.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bannana_purple.gif

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bandanna, you've tweaked my interest. I might have to take the plunge next reach. I mean I drive for a living, and I have driven in New York. So tell me those of you who have driven in Jamaica, how hard could it be?????????????????? </div></div>

It takes a little getting used to, but not so bad. You need to be a lot more concious/aware than you tend to be at home. We're so used to driving on the right it's ingrained.

Last few trips I was a driving fool!! My friend's car had a stick and a right hand drive, so I was shifting with my left hand. Once you try it, you realize your left hand wants to operate the gears the exact opposite of the way you'd shift with your right hand... but the gears are not opposite. I had to stop and think a lot while shifting.

Staying on the left is not so difficult on the road, it's just when you're entering another road, a round about or taking a turn, you really have to think about what you're doing.

Once you've done it a few times it's the bomb!!
                                Last trip JD &amp; I drove a friend's pickney home to God knows where in the middle of nowhere, then I drove my friend's wife up to Junction from Great Bay to buy tiles &amp; fixtures for their new bath as he was here working. I was soooo proud of myself!!

Go for it Orbra. Nothing like a little independence.
                                http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/na...smiley-015.gif
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...1HAM2WHT_l.gif

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X