Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

most potential for individual earnings in Jamaica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POLL - most potential for individual earnings in Jamaica?

Politics is winning because there is a lot of corruption. Government employees can make a lot in Jamaica from bribes. I've seen the effects myself. Go into the nicer sections of Kingston, and a lot of those mansions are owned by government employees. You can be pretty sure they are not paying for it from their salaries alone.

Re: IT: Yeah, I'm not sure why they pay me to do this computer stuff. :-). But seriously, IT is pretty low-paid in Jamaica. When I got married, I checked into it (we were trying to decide who should move). I could earn maybe 5%-10% of my US salary, at best, doing IT in Jamaica. In other word, a factor of 10 lower. We wound up in the US. Need to make a living!

Re: Strippers/prostitutes: That "profession" is not actually as lucrative as it might seem, since they spend most of their time waiting around for clients. It's best viewed as a low-paid (and degrading) job in the tourist service industry.

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is, but it seems like politics and crime are the leading contenders for how to make money in Jamaica. Unfortunately. Sigh.

Comment

Re: most potential for individual earnings in Jamaica?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seveen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Information Technology makes perfect sense as far as our survey goes. About 10 years ago there were a number of companies (some here in Toronto) that were looking at Jamaica as a good source for online data management outsourcing and customer service (call centers).

Even here in N.A. with car companies tanking (except Ford) the advice we're hearing is that workers have to become more skilled in technology to be employable.

Even in our rural area in Jamaica people have computers and are getting online. I hope Jamaica's education system is focused on ensuring that school kids get access to the technological training they need so that the country can position itself for some of this global online business.

Comment

Re: POLL - most potential for individual earnings in Jamaica?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A_J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Politics is winning because there is a lot of corruption. Government employees can make a lot in Jamaica from bribes. I've seen the effects myself. Go into the nicer sections of Kingston, and a lot of those mansions are owned by government employees. You can be pretty sure they are not paying for it from their salaries alone.

Re: IT: Yeah, I'm not sure why they pay me to do this computer stuff. :-). But seriously, IT is pretty low-paid in Jamaica. When I got married, I checked into it (we were trying to decide who should move). I could earn maybe 5%-10% of my US salary, at best, doing IT in Jamaica. In other word, a factor of 10 lower. We wound up in the US. Need to make a living!

Re: Strippers/prostitutes: That &quot;profession&quot; is not actually as lucrative as it might seem, since they spend most of their time waiting around for clients. It's best viewed as a low-paid (and degrading) job in the tourist service industry.

I'm not sure what the &quot;right&quot; answer is, but it seems like politics and crime are the leading contenders for how to make money in Jamaica. Unfortunately. Sigh.

</div></div>

I wouldn't be sighing that's just a reflection of who's reading the Observer...

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X