Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

Visiting Jamaica using my Canadian passport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Jamaica using my Canadian passport.

i was born in Jamaica moved to Canada and became a citizen and have a Canadian passport

when i am going to visit Jamaica i will only use my Canadian passport will there be problems at the immigration counter at the airport? did anybody here use their U.S/Canadian/UK etc passports when visiting Jamaica?

Re: Visiting Jamaica using my Canadian passport.

I am in the exact same boat as you.

Canadian passport with country of birth listed as Jamaica.

There is no problem at all! I sometimes get a smile and a "welcome home" from the immigration agent at the airport upon arrival in Jamaica.

Enjoy your visit!!
    It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away.

Comment

if you are returning to Canada...den there is no problem. If you are going as a visitor, how they even going to know that you are JA born? And im sure it doesnt matter!

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curmudgeon_Milo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the exact same boat as you.

Canadian passport with country of birth listed as Jamaica.

There is no problem at all! I sometimes get a smile and a &quot;welcome home&quot; from the immigration agent at the airport upon arrival in Jamaica.

Enjoy your visit!! </div></div>

hmm.....makes note to chekc passport when i get home. i didnt even know they have country of birth listed there. hmmmmmmmm

Comment

yes they do list your country of birth...the only problem i had using my US passport was that I had a barrel waiting on the wharf and the customs officer refused to stamp my bill of lading claiming that I was not a Jamaican citizen anymore

other than that you should not experience any problems.
          <span style="font-style: italic">But si yah! Yu nuh easy! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/704555_dwl.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/70394-bawlout.gif</span>

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _____</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes they do list your country of birth...the only problem i had using my US passport was that I had a barrel waiting on the wharf and the customs officer refused to stamp my bill of lading claiming that I was not a Jamaican citizen anymore

other than that you should not experience any problems. </div></div>

WOW!!!

hmmmmmm JA does not recognize dual citizenship?

I know the US doesnt cuz thier arrogance wont allow! I am surprised

Comment

i travel to jamaica on my canadian passport, no problem. it does list jamaica as the country of my birth.
              <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: babyloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the US doesnt cuz thier arrogance wont allow! I am surprised </div></div>

in addition to being highly offensive, this remark is utterly and completely wrong!

from the U.S. Department of State website:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth. </div></div>

read the <span style="font-weight: bold">facts </span>here
                Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: babyloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the US doesnt cuz thier arrogance wont allow! I am surprised </div></div>

in addition to being highly offensive, this remark is utterly and completely wrong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth. </div></div>

read the <span style="font-weight: bold">facts </span>here </div></div>

this is true!!! but does not apply to ppl who naturalize from one contry to the next!

so a person who come to US from foreign and NATURALIZE as US citizens...will no longer be recognized as anything other than American.

and i was speaking specifically to the young lady who said she was told she was no longer a citizen of her county of birth

Comment

Well, that's not completely true either:

Rules against dual citizenship still apply to some extent -- at least in theory -- to people who wish to become US citizens via naturalization. The Supreme Court chose to leave in place the requirement that new citizens must renounce their old citizenship during US naturalization. <span style="font-weight: bold">However, in practice, the State Department is no longer doing anything in the vast majority of situations where a new citizen's &quot;old country&quot; refuses to recognize the US renunciation and continues to consider the person's original citizenship to be in effect.</span>

and furthermore, this is a public forum; anything you post here is open to public scrutiny....if you want to direct your statements to one particular person, I'd suggest you do so via private message.
                    Anyone can have an itchy bottom

Comment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: babyloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiamondDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: babyloc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the US doesnt cuz thier arrogance wont allow! I am surprised </div></div>

read the <span style="font-weight: bold">facts </span>here </div></div>

this is true!!! but does not apply to ppl who naturalize from one contry to the next!

so a person who come to US from foreign and NATURALIZE as US citizens...will no longer be recognized as anything other than American.

and i was speaking specifically to the young lady who said she was told she was no longer a citizen of her county of birth </div></div>

Then that would mean that <span style="font-style: italic">Jamaica </span> does not recognize dual citizenship
                      If you don't fight for what you deserve, you deserve what you get.
                      We are > Fossil Fuels --- Bill McKibben 350.org

Comment

If that was the case, we'd have a whole heap of stateless people.

However, you can't be an MP if you're a dual citizen. Unless you're a good MP in which case you can still be an MP if you promise to get rid of extra passports.

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X