Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

3-in-one Jamaica trip report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

decided to check out the "villa" on the property - a shed like structure that was actually presentable inside, two double beds, ensuite bathroom and a small dinette. Shanique gave me the tour, and told me a family was expected to arrive today to occupy it.

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0305.jpg

DSCN0306.jpg
    <span style="font-style: italic">All Glory to The Hypnotoad!</span>

Comment

btw, mosquito nets - useless. they block the movement of air. i had much better luck keeping the mosquitos off by keeping the fan running, plus i kept cool. when it got too cool in the wee hours, i snuck under the sheets.

Comment

Nikola had taken the Canadian couple to Sugar Foot Beach down some road round Rio Nuevo. i declined to go cuz it would have meant taking a route taxi and mi neva feel fi sacrifice any personal space that day.

instead, walked up the street with K to the compound where he and his lady friend reside and where, apparently, they've just renovated some rooms to let out for B&B purposes. i promised him i'd put his pix on the internet. i hope Xavier don't mind.

DSCN0313.jpgDSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg DSCN0333.jpg

two rooms side by side, each with ensuite bathroom, tons of closet space and a view overlooking what i think is part of boscobel harbour. designed and decorated by K's lady, who's a realtor. very clean lines almost Scandinavian esthetic that is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Nikola's found object bohemianism.

Comment

DSCN0327.jpg DSCN0324.jpg

apparently the planter is a molasses vat from an old sugar estate
          DSCN0339.jpg

mi neva like this wall hanging - the juxtaposition of the crown and a bob marley saying felt wrong.
          DSCN0329.jpg

Comment

after i finished taking the pix of his place, K pointed me to some of the other properties in the compound, a couple occupied by Jamaicans, all to some degree available for let to tourists.

the royal palms were spectacular and gave a secluded almost story-book vibe to the place. that little house is called Fern Villa, rented by the retired lumberjack.
            DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0312.jpgDSCN0350.jpg

Comment

K and i were walking out when i noticed a couple under a tree.
              DSCN0351.jpg

i asked if an artist lived there. k said no, but called out. turns out there was another house that i'd almost missed cuz the greenery was grown up round it. a white guy came out and started talking after k introduced us. couldnt place his accent. South African? Austrialian? Turns out it was Cockney

i asked him about the sculpture in the garden and he said it was done by an American woman who suicided

i scoffed, so he invited me inside to take a look at her other art.

Jimi Hendrix, on the wall of a house in Oracabessa. imagine!

DSCN0353.jpg

the deceased lady artist is apparently depicted in these two pictures
              DSCN0354.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

the pictures were signed Von, which i thought could be nickname for Yvonne, since the Englishman felt they were self-portraits. but apparently Von is a Jamaican artist of some renown from the Oracabessa area, and he has a wikipedia entry.

the Englishman is a retired publisher, and when he found out i was from Canada, told me tales of running afoul of Quebec's language laws with one of his publications. he and K chatted, and i heard the Englishman talk about some mutual acquaintance living in town with a "mampi coolie gal with white liver".

i don't know if it was the sunhot, but all of a sudden i felt like i was on the steps of some weird world. no lie, The Pirate's Daughter novel by MCT flashed into my mind. i was happy to take my leave and head back to my room at NIkola's where things were relatively ordinary.

Comment

I love your writing and this report is wonderful.

Comment

she write nice fi troo.
                  “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

Comment

Love the photo with the statute and that view

Comment

thanks for the compliments, guys

memory is starting to fade so i'll try to wrap this up soon.

Comment

after my return to Nikola's and a nap and shower, decided to walk into Oracabessa with Shanique. i felt obligated to at least see the town, so i can say i had been to Oracabessa proper.

in the meantime, the German family renting the villa had arrived, a couple and a son who appeared about 13 years old. the father was friendly enough, the mother a bit stand-offish with an air of being perpetually disappointed with the world.

Nikola accosted me - today for sure we could witness baby turtles hatching. (she pronounced it "turtle hoj"). For days she'd been keeping an eye out for a guy named Mel who apparently is like the red flag on a mailbox, once he's spotted, it's a sign something will happen. Some friction between Nikola and Mel, not sure what, she would only shake her head when i tried to ask.

Anyhoo, i cried off from going to see the turtle hatch, largely because the Canadian couple and the German family had agreed to go and I felt a sudden reluctance to be part of a large group. Plus i wanted to go to Oracabessa.

Comment

Shanique and I started to walk, then she suddenly crossed the road. "Why you want to leave the shady side of the street?" I complained. She said she was just going to the beach to see a friend for a minute, and we entered a derelict property. Ashamed to say that i felt a pang of apprehension, wondering if i was being set up, but i decided on trust.

the property we entered was once the Golden Seas resort. when me say the place mash-up, it mash-up i asked if a hurricane destroyed it, Shanique said no, people just came about 2 years ago and started stripping the place. turns out it had closed due to hard times, and after hoping it would re-open and provide jobs, the locals had given up on it and decided to help themselves.

DSCN0358.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

Comment

DSCN0397.jpg

still beautiful in some parts
                            DSCN0396.jpg

Usain Bolt has apparently bought the property, and i think the locals are feeling hopeful againDSCN0362.jpg.

Comment

apparently druggies hang out in the place at night. some artists among them, it seems.

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0395.jpg

Comment

what Golden Seas used to look like:

beach-front-rooms.jpg

here's a gleaner article from 2012 about it: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business3.html

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X