Announcement

Collapse

Boardite Facebook Group

Hi All

For those boardites who are facebook we have a Boardite Facebook Group. Be sure to check it out.
See more
See less

March At Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March At Home

It’s taken me a full week to recover in getting back.

As soon as I got to NY, I had to go to work the next day and of course, I was completely slammed. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]

Just coming up for air.

This aint really a true, true trip report at all tho, suh mek mi wahn oonu fram no! I don't have any pictures of plates of food and I wish I didn't have to go to the 2 unexpected funerals that came about. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]

The trip was primarily for work – the first week and a half was anyway – a Stolzoff documentary that’s being made ... and that’s all I can say about that for now.

Afterwards, I managed to finagle another couple weeks out of my job to let me stay longer.

A devious vixen, that I am!
    [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Call it seh mi spen di whole ah March ah yahd! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70377-loveeyes.gif[/img]

I barely took any pictures at all actually but here’s a few.

Oh wait – first of all – let me tell you – if I EVER fly American Airlines again, I don’t name Yuri.

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad2.gif[/img]

Truss mi. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad2.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad2.gif[/img]

Re: March At Home

So hubby and I decided we were going to do part of this trip home together. He actually took a short leave from work to go down and kinda look about clearing a lot we have going on there.

He went down about a week or so before me.

Left from JFK on a 12:30pm <u>scheduled</u> direct flight.

Sure enuff, the flight was delayed – and DELAYED AND DELAYED! All with no explanation from any airline staff. Drama, drama drama …

Long story short, the flight ended up leaving at 4:45pm!!

Over 4 HOURS of delay!! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Hubby didn’t ketch Mobay until well after 9pm – and I wont even recount the agony of trying to get home (clear chakka Gayle!) after getting thru customs/immigration AFTER 11pm. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70394-bawlout.gif[/img]

Why didn’t he take an a.m. flight which tends to get delayed less frequently?

Because we knew we were going to be traveling back to NY together, the tickets had to be bought together/same time. So even tho I was traveling for work, I didn’t have our Corporate travel book it because of course, they couldn’t also buy my husband’s ticket.

I bought the tickets myself, to be reimbursed later on. When looking for tickets, this 12:30 flight was all that was left.

So I knew of someone who took this same flight from JFK back in October – same flight # and everything. He too got massively held up.

So after hubby went thru this crazy 4hr delay, I was REALLY wary. I checked and they had many seats available for an earlier time so I begged American to me on an earlier morning flight and explained why.

They refused and said I’d have to pay another $750 if I wanted to change my flight to an earlier time in the day.

Great.

I explained that I wouldn’t need to be asking for an earlier flight if only they’d take off at the times they’re SCHEDULED to take off! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70400-talktohand.gif[/img]

No luck.

And sure enuff, my flight was delayed as well – it left 2 and a half hours late.

American couldn’t have cared less.

I complained in writing about hubby’s late flight and they just sent me a form response.

Am sending them another complaint about my delay. Hopefully I'll get at least SOMETHING out of it.

(mercy faddah - mi dis no look panni preview ah si how lang dah poas yah look - mi nu h bz niz!) [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

Comment

So - here we are - driving down the road - the lovely, lovely road, when ... coming around the bend ...

[img][/img]

Comment

... yuh buck up pan disyah manstrasitti ... !!! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img]

[img][/img]

I love how you can see it, literally, from miles away - long before you ever get to it.

[img][/img]

I wonder if it'll block out the sun or moon when it's completed? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

Comment

Ahhh - the lovely Palmyra.

I just call it "Trump" because to me, it's certainly something he would build. Just as ugly and obtrusive as ever.

I wonder if Posh & Becks have bought a unit yet?

[img][/img]

It's funny what different eyes will see.

I'm sure a visitor sees 'paradise' and luxury when they look at this. I only see memories of a beautiful open God made view of an afternoon drive.

I just see it gone. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

No - fi reel - demyah buildin yah really ah build ah Jamaica? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek2.gif[/img]

Demyah sitin nuh belang ah New Yawk sah?

Merciful fahdah!

I knew Palmyra was coming - have seen it advertised for a while now but to see it in person - good grief.

<span style="color: #FF0000">
            "... they paved paradise and put up a parking lot!"</span>

[img][/img]

Comment

I feel yuh Yuri.

Dem sintin a gi mi art pain. It gwine cause a solar eclipse fi real. Whichpawt dema build dat de tower of terror?

Mi worse moment was when mi first drive pon di new road from MoBay to Negril. I though I going ded. All mi nice nice corners spile. But now that the old road fading into memory, I can drive on it and still see beauty.

Now the north coast road dem nuh even try be subtle bout this.
              This Palmyra business a who run it? A Spanish ting dis? Caw mi just hear seh di Spanish building a new hotel inna New Kingston. But that one actually going look nice.

I guess dem call dis progress eeh?

Comment

Seet yah Magic.

http://www.thepalmyra.com/view/en/plmhome.aspx

Depending on which way you're going/coming - just about before or a little after Rose Hall.

Progress - aye sah.

See that link on the right side of the page? The Palmyra Foundation?

Let's wait & see what they actually do and what will actually come to fruition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel yuh Yuri.

Dem sintin a gi mi art pain. It gwine cause a solar eclipse fi real. Whichpawt dema build dat de tower of terror?

Mi worse moment was when mi first drive pon di new road from MoBay to Negril. I though I going ded. All mi nice nice corners spile. But now that the old road fading into memory, I can drive on it and still see beauty.

Now the north coast road dem nuh even try be subtle bout this.
                This Palmyra business a who run it? A Spanish ting dis? Caw mi just hear seh di Spanish building a new hotel inna New Kingston. But that one actually going look nice.

I guess dem call dis progress eeh? </div></div>

Comment

More manstrasitti!

This isn't as new of course tho - has been there since last year - Pear Tree Bottom - Grand Bahia Principe.

It too can be seen from far away as your coming to/from Green Grotto. What a behemoth!

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad2.gif[/img]

But hey ... what's that familiar refrain?

"At least they're providing work for people."
                  "At least people are getting paid!"

Please.

YOU try living on the wages the pay these hotel workers - especially at the Spanish hotels.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Hubby called just a couple days before I came down and asked me to look out for a chainsaw to help in the clearing of the lot.

So – let’s just hold tight to stereotype for a minute.

I’m a girl – what do I know from chainsaws. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/dizzy.gif[/img]

There’s about as many different kinds of chainsaws as there are cars! They all look the same to me. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70392-silly.gif[/img]

I go to both Home Depot and Sears and look around. I tried to put my best face on not to look like a sucker coming thru the door.

I said straight up to the Sears sales guy – look I need a chainsaw – don’t try and BS me – just tell me what’s the best one & why otherwise I’ll come back and saw you in 2.

He was the best – explained EVERYTHING to me – but I still didn’t get it: [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/704555_dwl.gif[/img]

- 2 stroke oil
                    - choke
                    - kickback reduction
                    - chain brake

OMG! My head was spinning.

I ended up buying this one.
                    [img][/img]

Comment

Afta mi pass chroo customs and dem nevah stap mi - mi drap dung ah grung ah gi God tanks seh dem neva check mi bag dem cah dem woulda surely charge di daylites outta mi baxcide! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bannana_purple.gif[/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Dat remine mi …

Skelly, wha day yah, yuh waina ax ‘bout what ah what building material ah cost nowah daze.

Mi guh roun’ guh roun’ wid huzzy ah look diffren diffren ting fi alla di werk imma do.

Si some $ yah …

Mi guffi sen yuh wha PM but cannot seem fi fine “Skelly” when mi search again.

Is warrah yuh callin yuh self deeze daze? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/70402-thinking.gif[/img]

* all JA $ *
                        * this is of <span style="color: #FF0000">March 28</span> – it’s gone up since

<u>HARDWARE IN NEGRIL WE’VE USED BEFORE</u>
                        block = $5900 for 100 bocks

cement = $715 per bag

steel - $93,000 per ton

a 6k Watt generator we were looking at but couldn’t afford = $140,000

<u>TRUE VALUE OCHI</u>
                        cement = $659 per bag

steel = $96,300

<u>TOWN</u>
                        Went to a hardware when we were in town as well. The costs were similar to Negril.

All in all - costs are what you see here but, depending on where you buy, maybe about 10% / 15% or so higher ... but nothing lower, that I could see or find.

Comment

Good choice wid di chain saw ... Husqavarna is good brand from sweden. As for the monstrasity... lawd... a wha dat??!!!! Who building it? Hurry up with the rest of the trip report.

Comment

transferring to the trip report forum
                            http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...sop/Sweets.gif

Comment

Yes Sandi - I think it was a good choice indeed. I've since learned it's better than the Craftsman brand Sears sells I think it was a fair price too.

I cut thru one of the trees like butter - I was surprised.

While looking around, we asked to see some chainsaws at various hardwares - especially in Kingston.

I can only say I'm glad I bought it in NY. Almost every single chainsaw we looked at in town was over $350 US and they all looked like they wouldn't last more than 10 minutes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SandiF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good choice wid di chain saw ... Husqavarna is good
                              brand from sweden. As for the monstrasity... lawd... a wha dat??!!!! Who building it? Hurry up with the rest of the trip report. </div></div>

Comment

Welcome to vBulletin!

Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

ads

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X