I am a grandchild sorting out land for aunt in Jamaica

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My grandmother died leaving a house she built on land she bought. I am a grandchild seeking to ensure the land stays with family.
My mom and I are not on speaking terms. My aunt says I can have it. There was no will and my mom says she couldnt care less what I want to do.
So what do I do now?
Aretha Josephs

RESPONSE: Dear Aretha,
Administration is the way to go. Grab an attorney real quick and ask them to assist you to apply for letters of administration. Your aunt can give you the power of attorney to do this effectively.
This is because you cant as a grandchild apply for administration except in certain circumstances.

Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more