Advice & Help

How do I sell Jamaican land from overseas?

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,

I spoke to you about 30 minutes ago and gave you my email address and phone number.  I hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty to email you first as, I am seeking your guidance as how would I go about selling land in Jamaica when both parties whose names are on the title live overseas.

Winnie Pascal

RESPONSE: Dear Winnie Pascal,

Thank you for your communication. You should consider getting representation either from an attorney, or someone with whom you can appoint your agent with a power-of-attorney document with trained knowledge to act on your behalf. Although the actual sales agreement can be drafted and signed in a foreign country, there are certain procedures that can only be done in Jamaica, such as fees to be paid to relevant government entities as required by law and otherwise. This site provides more information on how to buy and sell property in Jamaica. You may consider getting the assistance of a member of our team.

Legal Wiz

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here