If you’ve never had conch before here is a delicious, flavorful and easy-to-make soup recipe to get started.
- 3-4 cups cleaned, pounded, chopped fresh conch
- 1 onion chopped into small pieces 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 springs of fresh thyme 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper, cut into quarters, not using the seeds depending on the heat, add what you need)
- 7-8 pimento
- 3 scallions, chopped fine salt black pepper
- ½ pkg of Grace soup mix, chicken, fish or vegetable or 3 Tbs powder soup broth
- 3 Tbs tomato paste 3 cups chopped fresh pumpkin
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 cups of white yam, chopped or 2 cups irish potato chopped
- 3 small – med size tomatoes chopped 1 cho cho chopped
- Put the conch, onion, garlic and ginger into a soup pot, along with about 5-6 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the tomato paste, pumpkin and pimento, bring to a boil then turn down to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Next add the soup mix, salt, pepper and vegetables, along with the scotch bonnet and thyme.
- Add more water as needed. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Last add in the scallion and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh hard crust bread or festival.