Do you like Sweet Potato Pie? Are you ready to try it Jamaican style with spices and coconut milk? Try our simple Jamaican Sweet Potato Pie.
- 5-1/2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 lime
- 1/8 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/8 cup sugar
- 3/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice. Set to one side.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are thoroughly mashed.
- Alternately add sugar and eggs (one at a time), making sure to mix well after adding each addition.
- Add the softened butter, mashing into the mixture with a fork. Make sure it is well blended.
- Add coconut milk, rum and lime juice. Squeeze in the juice from 3 of the lime halves. Stir to mix well.
- Sift together the baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Add raisins to the dry mixture, tossing to coat.
- Add the raisin/spice mixture to the sweet potato mixture, stirring well.
- Pour mixture into a large greased pie pan and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 55 minutes or until done.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped or clotted cream.
SERVES 8 – 10