My moms name, not dad’s should be my surname

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
Hello I would like to change my (surname) last name on my birth certificate to my mothers last name instead of my father since he was not present at my birth an not on my birth certificate.

Its a simple process to do this. You definitely need to do a deed poll of your surname. Do realise you will have to walk around with the deed poll document and your original birth certificate. To get the deed poll drafted, visit the Registrar General Department – RGD office or have an attorney at law create it for you. Then the deed poll must be registered with the very RGD.
Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more