My son is taking the rent and not sending any to me

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,

I left Jamaica for Miami in 2006. My father died so my son was left at his house, with the tenants. My son keeps calling to tell me that the house needs repairs and that the tenants wont pay him. I asked someone to visit the house, and he said the tenants and my son are not speaking with each other. I didnt get any of the rent as my son and I agreed, and so I want the rent paid to me directly.


RESPONSE: Dear Maria,

Since you cant come to Jamaica, you should have someone who can act on your behalf and be accountable for everything done for you. You did not say if you are willingly to contract an attorney. You can open a bank account with institutions such as Jamaica National. Then you can have the tenants place the money directly to the bank account. That way you can monitor payments. In the meantime, you should speak with your son and discuss ways for him to be accountable. 

There are some other actions you should consider taking such as applying for administration for the property. It is recommended that you speak with an attorney further and you can do this through a member of our team if you do not have one.

Legal Wiz