Need to evict arrogant tenants from granny’s Jamaican home

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
As it is my 82 year old grandma travels back and firth to look at her property. Its been five years since the arrogant tenants paid her anything, and now that they see her getting old, they are abusing her in every way when she goes to her house.
I am afraid to help her, but I really am looking for someone who can. She cant pay an attorney and she does not want to rely on legal aid for all the stories we have heard. Then again, she cant travel so often anymore.
Please tell us how to approach this as we need these arrogant persons or arrogant tenants, out for my granny’s peace of mind.
Lana Johnson

RESPONSE: Dear Lana,
It is being suggested that you get someone to be your agent, and then empower that person with a power of attorney instrument to assist you. Should that person need an attorney at law, in the long run, one at a reasonable fee could be found. There are lawyers who work on a payment plan, and of course considering that the rent owed for five year period can be followed up. Let us know further.
Legal wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more


  • Jamaica Legal Wiz

    A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here

    View all posts