Advice & Help General

I need my money from the man in Jamaican jail

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I got a judgement order from the Lower Court for my money, but found out the Defendant is in jail for a crime for over a year now. He doesnt even have family members rallying around him, and nothing to sell at all.
I went to friend to recommend an attorney and he says I am wasting my money and nothing further. I need to leave the island and need that money badly. Can you help me to get an attorney.

RESPONSE: Dear Rudd,
It depends on why you would need an attorney. At this stage an attorney can only assist to get your money only after it can be proven that the person can pay you. The attorney can also help you to ‘refresh the order’ if it expires.
It doesnt seem as if that person can pay you at this time, and its likely that by the time the person is able to pay you the order will expire.
If you need to consult with an attorney further, it is recommended that you go to a legal aid clinic to save you needed funds.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. The responses are prepared and published by inhouse senior journalists after research and discussion with attorneys-at-law and other specialists, as necessary.
The Legal Wiz networks professionals from all fields to serve the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Please remember that names are changed at times by request of the person seeking information.

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here