The Jamaican and Caribbean nationals has an impact in the communities they live in worldwide. We have compiled various demographic information /statistical information on the Jamaicans/Caribbean nationals living in the US, Canada and UK. It is estimated that 2.6 million Jamaicans live abroad (not including offspring) with a buying power of $45 billion (US). Please feel free to contact us with any statistical information and the source you would like published here.
- According to the IBT The total Caribbean population and those of Caribbean descent in the U.S. may be as high as 22 million.
- In 2013, $1.8 billion was sent to Jamaica by Jamaicans worldwide, part of the $8 billion remitted to the Caribbean, according to a study released in 2014 by the Inter-American . Development Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development and by Bank of Jamaica. The remittances to Jamaica in 2013 represents 15 percent of Jamaica’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- Open Doors reports states that in 2014 Caribbean students make up 1.2% of international students studying in the US
- In 2013/2014 international students contributed over $ 27 billion to the US Economy – Source U.S. Department of Commerce
- US Census: Top 5 Caribbean Immigrants in the US (This does not include offspring):
- Jamaicans – 1 Million
- Haitians – 908, 000
- Trinidadian & Tobagonian – 196,000
- Barbadian/ Bajans- 62000
- Bahamian – 53000
- The Pew Hispanic Center estimated that in 2012 there were approximately 5000,000 unauthorized Caribbean immigrants in the USA.
- There 150,000 in the United Kingdom in 2008 – Source UK Census
- Department of International Development 2006 research found that of the 50 plus developing countries receiving money from the UK, the five largest recipients were Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Jamaica and Ghana.
- In the 2011 UK Census those who identified as Black Caribbean has was 1.1 % of the population. The UK population in 2011 was approximately 56.1 million. – Source BBC
- In the 2011 UK Census, Jamaicans at two percent represented the sixth biggest group born outside the UK. – Source BBC
- In 2001 there were 210,000 people of Jamaican origin living in Canada according to Statistic Canada.
- Statistics from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) show that a total of 21,265 Jamaicans migrated to Canada between 2002 to 2011