Tenant claims I cant get her out after 12 years of no rent

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
For over 12 years the woman I rented the property to, my tenant, has not paid any rent. I now need to get her off, but when I gave her a notice she tells me it is too late for that. The law says she cant be removed again as she has been there for over 12 years. What can I do?

legal-wiz-jamaican 5000dollazAMcG

The law of which she speaks would not apply to her, as she was brought on the property by you. Therefore she is a tenant.
Getting an attorney could be very useful to you especially as you wont be in Jamaica too often. As soon as the notice expires the attorney will proceed to do up the documents necessary to get a summons from the Court, and then there will be a hearing.
At that hearing she is free to tell her side and the lawyer will guide you to tell your side.
Once you have gotten the order, only the Bailiff assigned by the Court can physically remove her though.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more


  • Jamaica Legal Wiz

    A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here

    View all posts