Jerk Chicken with a kick! The addition of the Pineapple Mango Sauce to the Jerk Chicken creates an explosion of flavours in your mouth that will keep you talking for days.
Recipe – Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Mango Sauce
• 4 lbs. Chicken, cut in quarters;
• 1/4 cup Grace White Vinegar;
• 1 cup water;
• 1 sprig thyme;
• 1/4 cup escallion;
• 5 cloves garlic, chopped;
• 1 tsp ginger, crushed;
• 1 medium onion, chopped;
• 1/4 cup Grace Jerk Seasoning,
• 1 Tbsp sugar;
• 12 pimento berries,
• 1 whole pepper;
• 2 Tbsps soy sauce,
• 2 tbsps white rum (optional);
• 1 1/2 cups water;
TO MAKE MANGO PINEAPPLE SAUCE:
• 1/2 can Grace Pineapple Juice;
• 1/2 can Grace Mango Nectar;
• 1 cup pineapple, diced;
• 1/4 cup honey;
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce;
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder;
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder;
• Marinade from chicken
1. Cut chicken in quarters and wash in a mixture of vinegar and water;
2. Combine thyme, escallion, garlic, ginger, onion, jerk seasoning, sugar, pimento berries, whole pepper, soy sauce and rum in a blender.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups water and blend until smooth;
4. Pour blended seasoning mix over the chicken and rub the mixture in.
5. Cover and put to marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour;
6. Place chicken on a preheated grill or in an oven 180°C (350°F) and cook for about 1 1/4 hours.
7. Turn the chicken pieces so that it develops a brown colour on both sides;
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
1. Combine ingredients for sauce and put to boil.
2. Pour in the marinade from the chicken, mix well and boil until the mixture thickens.
3. Use to glaze the chicken;
4. Chop each quarter in 2-4 pieces and serve with roast sweet potatoes, breadfruit, slices of bread or with boiled rice.
1 1/2 hours