Congratulations are pouring in for 19-year-old Iana Tickle Garcia, who was crowned Miss Universe Jamaica 2019. She was crowned during official competition and ceremonies conducted at the National Arena in Kingston, Jamaica on Aug. 31, 2019.
Garcia bested a field of 17 contestants to emerge victorious. She’ll now go on to represent Jamaica at the Miss Universe 2019 competition slated to air on the FOX network at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2019 (Vote her into the top 20). It will be held at the Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, GA, with Steve Harvey returning to host the event for the fifth consecutive year.
As the titleholder, the Jamaican model won a JA$300,000 cash award and she was also voted Best in Evening Gown. Toni Ann Taylor, age 25, was the first runner-up and Sian Graham Connolly, age 20, was the second runner-up. If Garcia takes the Miss Universe 2019 title, she’ll be the first-ever Jamaican to achieve that honor.
The following are five things everyone should know about Garcia.
- She’s of Cuban and Swiss descent. Her father is Swiss, her mother is Cuban, and Garcia was born in Jamaica.
- Garcia currently holds a brown sash in Kung Fu. She’s been practicing the martial art since the age of 12.
- She will be attending the University of West Indies where she will study International Relations and Law.
- The beauty pageant winner founded her own Crochet for Charity initiative that makes and markets handcrafted crocheted earrings. Profits from sales go toward a different cause every 3-4 months that’s in need of assistance.
- Garcia is active in a variety of community projects that includes the SOS Children’s Village that provides scholarships and back to school items to students. She works with the Rotary Club of Montego Bay’s Water Tank and Sanitation Project that installs water tanks in rural primary schools.
Garcia wants to be an agent of change and for her voice to be heard about a number of causes that encompasses climate change. She’s passionate about giving youth opportunities to make a difference in the world and allowing their voices to be heard.
Please vote Miss Jamaica Universe into the top 20 at Miss Universe today. Vote Now !!!
Photo Source: Miss Jamaica Universe Facebook Page