Planning on soaking up some sun on picturesque beaches, climbing stunning waterfalls and enjoying the lush landscape of Jamaica, but don’t know where to start planning? Let’s dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s. Here are 7 tips on how to prepare for that well-anticipated trip:
1. Decide on when you want to go to Jamaica. The weather is tropical all year round and on average is about 75-80℉, so you will experience the sun whether you choose to visit in November or June. Hurricane season is late summer/early fall so keep updated with the weather if travelling during this time.
2. Determine the activities that appeal to you most, then make a decision on which parish or town you want to stay to enjoy these activities and the more convenient airport to fly to. Be sure to check the travel requirements to enter the country and to return home.
3. Most visitors prefer accommodations close to the coastline because of the beaches. All-inclusive resorts are a popular choice, as they keep you in budget and eliminate surprise charges. You also get to enjoy everything the resort has to offer. You may also rent Airbnb accommodations or self-catering villas.
4. Getting around in Jamaica might be a little challenging. If you plan on doing independent sightseeing, plan on renting a car. Otherwise, check with your resort to see if they offer bus tours or shuttle services to move around.
5. For the activities that you would like to engage in, research their associated costs and budget accordingly. Be sure to carry appropriate clothing for these activities also.
6. Ensure your things to do list includes experiencing the culture. There are music (Reggae Sumfest, Rebel Salute, etc.) and food festivals (Boston Jerk Festival, Trelawny Yam Festival, Curry Festival, etc.) happening yearly, that are ideal ways of experiencing the Jamaican culture.
7. As with travelling to any other country, you must be knowledgeable of your surroundings, keeping yourself and valuables safe at all times. Give friends and family your contact information and itinerary in case of emergency.
Now that we have noted the important points, let’s start purchase our tickets and start packing for a perfect vacation on this Caribbean gem!