Advice & Help

Can company manager sign the power of attorney documents

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My father, who is getting old, has a registered company in Southern Kingston. The tenants in a property owned by my father’s company have started giving him trouble. He just asked me to get them out of the place to avoid any further complications.
He cant use his eyes so well.
Can the company manager sign the power of attorney document for me to operate on my father’s behalf?
Shan Johnson

RESPONSE: Dear Shan,
Maybe you want to ask if you can get a power of attorney from the company manager to act for the company which really owns the property.
The persons who can sign a power of attorney document for you to operate for the company must be registered as the directors on the company papers at the Registrar of Companies office.
So if the company manager is not listed as a director on the official paperwork for the company (s)he cannot sign and authorise you to legally act for the company.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here