Saltfish cakes are popular in the Caribbean. You will find a variation of the name and recipe on many of the islands in the Caribbean. Try our simple Saltfish cakes recipe.
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onions
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons shallots
- ½ lb salted cod fish, cooked and flaked
- 1 large fresh hot pepper
- Finely chop onion, shallots and hot pepper.
- Sauté oil and onions until wilted.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
- In smaller bowl, mix egg, butter and milk.
- Make indention in dry ingredients; pour egg mixture into and mix lightly.
- Add chopped vegetables, fish, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Drop by spoon full into hot oil, 2-3 at a time. Brown and serve.