Stew Peas is a popular Jamaican dish that is enjoyed by meat lover. Vegans do not have to be left out anymore. Enjoy the Ital/Veggie/Vegetarian Jamaican Stew Peas. With Kidney beans as the feature ingredient, this dish is high in protein which is especially important for Vegetarians. Ital Stew Peas is sometimes called Veggie Stew Peas or Vegetarian Stew Peas.
- 2 cups red peas (kidney beans)
- 2 whole scotch bonnet peppers (if you like it hot cut the pepper up)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- bay leaves
- 10 pimento grains (allspice)
- cloves garlic (1 crushed and 3 whole)
- 3 chopped scallions
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon natural sea salt (sold in stores)
- 2 potatoes (Irish), cubed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Veggie spinners/dumplings (See Recipe Below)
- Soak the peas in water for a least 10-12 hours in the pot
- Place coconut milk, bay leaves, scallion, pimento grain, whole garlic and whole pepper in the pot.
- Slowly boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the peas are tender.
- Season by adding the onions, crushed garlic and thyme.
- Add carrots, spinners and potatoes
- Let simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the scallions, bay leaves and hot pepper before serving.
- Serve hot with white rice.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Enough water to bind
- Place flour in a medium bowl.
- Work mixture with hands while adding enough water to bind, making a stiff dough.
- Roll into 1 inch long pieces, drop into boiling stew peas or soup.
- Boil until they float or add them during the last 20mins of the cooking process. Enjoy!