Advice & Help

I need back my redundancy money I loaned out

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
My wife and I were made redundant and so we started lending out the redundancy money. We hoped we could earn from the interest. We did up a company letterhead and started lending out. A lot of the persons refuse to repay. These persons were our friends are giving us problems to return the monies.
We need to sue.
Shawn Sharpe

legal wiz_hand o

RESPONSE: Dear Shawn,
At the court there is a list of what you need to sue. The fact that you loaned the money using a fictitious name, you must register that name so you can start the claim under that name. There is an accepted rate of interest you are authorised to charge and claim in court unless you meet certain requirements. So you may need to meet up with an attorney to go over all of this and to set up a proper loan package for you which you can use with future clients. All the best.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here