Advice & Help

Need to get TRN for lawyer in Jamaica

Need to get TRN for lawyer in Jamaica.

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I have been contacted by a solicitor in Jamaica, but they wont deal with me unless they receive my TRN (Tax Registration Number). So I just want some advice on obtaining my TRN as I live in the United Kingdom now?
I need information such as – can I get a TRN (Tax Registration Number) although I do not live in Jamaica; Do I have to be in Jamaica to apply; Can they send me the card if I send out the signed TRN application form?
I do have a brother out there, but if I can just apply for myself, that would be great.
Alden Paris

RESPONSE: Dear Alden,
You can apply for the TRN (Tax Registration Number) online. However the actual card must be collected in person by you or someone on your behalf. That person will need a letter notarised to prove you sent them. Better yet, you should send them a power of attorney document. That office does not mail out TRN cards.
Instructions for applying online are found on this site.

Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here