Advice & Help

Outstanding defects work in Jamaica – need Court’s help

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I want to make a claim for defects work which remain outstanding to a new built property purchased in St Ann last year. What is the process for making a small claim in court in Jamaica? Many thanks Mrs White
Eleanor Rite

RESPONSE: Dear Eleanor,
You can do the following:
1. Decide whether you want monies for damage, or corrections to the faulty work by the workman or someone else
2. Gather your evidence, and proof of the value. Claims under one million dollars are for the parish court
3. Get a 16 dollar stamp
4. Visit the court office (the one that is relevant to the claim) with your stamp and outline of what happened. Parish Courts can only assist for claims under $one million in value
5. Bring proof of the damage and value
The court staff will assist you to draft your claim and to get a summons for value or for it to be corrected.

Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here