My recipe for Hummingbird Cake, combines the flavours of banana, pineapple and orange. Hope you enjoy
- 6 ozs butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Orange Flavouring
- 2 cups Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 overripe Bananas
- 1 small can Crushed Pineapple
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- Optional: ¼ cup Guava Jelly
- In a medium bowl combine butter, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and orange flavourings.
- Sift flour and baking powder together twice and set aside. Blend bananas and orange juice together until smooth and set aside.
- Grease 8″ baking pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat egg-butter mixture with electric mixer till light and smooth, and the eggs are completely incorporated into the butter.
- Add flour mixture, banana mixture and pineapple to butter-egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour into baking pan and place in oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the middle of the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- If desired, whisk guava jelly till smooth and spread over top.
- Serves 10.
About the Author
Joan Lue is a Jamaican chef, caterer, pastry baker and cake decorator who loves to make use of the flavours found in Jamaica in exciting and delicious ways. Traditional Jamaican recipes and a glossary of local fruits and vegetables appear in her cookbook Cook Jamaican! that’s illustrated with beautiful colour photos. The book can be bought on Amazon.com. The Hummingbird Cake Recipe appears on Joan Lue’s website.