The Jamaican Beef Soup is a favorite in Jamaica for Saturday soup. It is a hearty soup dish that features beef, carrots, turnips, pumpkin, cho cho (chayote squash), and yam. Often served with with flour dumplings.
- 2 qt. water
- 1 lb. soup bones or stewing steak
- 1/2 lb. carrots, cubed
- 1/4 lb. turnips, cubed
- 1 lb. pumpkin, cut up
- 1/2 lb. cho cho, cut up
- 1 lb. yellow yam, cut up
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 stalks escallion
- 1 tablespoon salt
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Boil soup bones in 2 qts. water (about 30 minutes in pressure cooker).
- Cut up vegetables, yam and cho cho and add with seasonings to soup.
- Dumplings may be added if desired.
- Once it starts to boil, simmer uncovered until yam is cooked and soup is of a medium consistency.
- Serves 6