Advice & Help

Immigration Q & A: Can I have dual citizenship in Jamaica and the United States?

Dual citizenship in Jamaica and the United States

Q:  What is dual citizenship? Can I have dual citizenship in Jamaica and the United States once I naturalize?

A:      A dual citizen is a national of two countries at the same time. Laws differ by countries. However a person may be a national of one country by being born in that country but also a national of another country because his/her parent is a national of another country. For example a child born in Jamaica by parents who are U.S. citizens is automatically a national of Jamaica by the operation of birth, but also a U.S. Citizen because their parents are U.S. Citizens.

You may have dual citizenship once you naturalize. However it depends on the order of your citizenship. If you are a national of Jamaica and then apply for nationality in the United States then you are able to be a dual citizen. However if you are a citizen of the United States and then apply for nationality in another foreign country, then you will lose your U.S. nationality. If you are a U.S. Citizen and gain the nationality by another operation such as marriage or birth then you will not lose the U.S. nationality. However if you apply for a foreign nationality voluntarily, then you show intent to give up your U.S. nationality.

Everyone please remember that we write these immigration articles to provide a service to you. We want our articles to address immigration questions and concerns that you want to hear about. If you have a question or an immigration topic that you would like to learn more about you can contact me directly at 954-655-6593 or via email at: [email protected]

Disclaimer: This article is a broad overview. This article is not legal advice and should not be taken as legal advice. This article is provided as a public service and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on the information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information provided in this article should never replace informed counsel when specific immigration-related guidance is needed

About the author

Andre Maragh Esq.