Our easy-to-follow Caribbean Avocado Mousse recipe is creamy and rich. It is perfect for vegans who want to try something with just a little extract Caribbean spice.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry wine
- 2 egg whites
- 4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- salad greens
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sprouts
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened (cottage cheese may be substituted)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- dash of paprika, optional for garnish
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the water and 1/4 cup of the wine into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until hot (not boiling) and add the gelatin, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Continuing to stir, add the other half of both the water and the wine. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes to cool.
- Remove pit from the avocado and chop into cubes. Set to the side.
- Place the cream or cottage cheese in a food processor, with the lemon juice and process until creamy.
- Add the avocado cubes, a dash each of salt and pepper and continue processing until the resulting mixture is smooth.
- Remove chilled gelatin mixture from the refrigerator and add to the avocado/cheese mixture. Make sure the gelatin and avocado/cheese mixture is blended well and transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the avocado/cheese mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased mold and chill in refrigerator approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until firmly set.
- To serve, remove from mold and serve atop salad greens. Arrange sprouts and tomato slices around the mouse. A sprinkle of paprika may be added for garnish, if desired.
- SERVES 4