To many Jamaicans, a patty with our coco bread is like having mac without the cheese. Patty and Coco Bread is one of the most popular food combinations in Jamaica. The coco bread is tasty with butter in the middle. It is often compared to a sweet and buttery dinner roll.
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- about 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning at the Amazon.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water then stir in milk, salt and egg.
- Add 1/2 of the flour and stir, continue to add flour until you have a dough that can be turned out of the bowl. Knead the dough for 10 mins. until smooth but firm.
- Oil a clean bowl and turn the dough in it until coated.
- Cover with a damp towel and let it rise for 1 hr. cut into 10 portions roll each piece into a 6 inch diameter circle.
- Brush with melted butter then fold in 1/2.
- Brush with more butter and fold in 1/2 again.
- Set breads on an oiled baking sheet and let them rise until they double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 F set a pan of hot water on the lowest oven rack.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 mins. or until golden brown.
- Serve with Jamaican Patty