A Jamaican Christmas celebration is not complete without traditional Jamaican Christmas Fruit cake. It has been a favored gift amongst Jamaicans during the Christmas season. This dark and spongy cake is a labor of love that is rich in flavors from rum soaked fruits. It is very popular during Christmas time and is most often served with sorrel. Also known as Black Cake or Christmas Cake.
- 6 ounces or 1.5 cup flour
- 8 ounces margarine or butter
- 8 ounces sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces mixed peel
- 4 ounces cherries
- 1/2 pound prunes (chopped)
- 1 cup wine/brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- finely grated rind of 1 lime/lemon
- 2 tablespoons browning (or burnt brown sugar)
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Cream butter, sugar and browning until soft and fluffy.
- Sieve all dry ingredients together
- Beat eggs, wine/brandy together.
- Add egg mixture to creamed butter and sugar.
- Add fruits.
- Add flour and fold in. Do no over-beat when mixing.
- Bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Yield: 9′ round cake.
Photo – 123rf