How do I get my money if my case was struck out in Jamaica court

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz

Thank you for the weekly column on I live in Jamaica and I have a quick question. I started a matter in the Civil Court at Sutton Street. After about my fifth appearance in Court, I got the dates mixed up and didn’t make it to the next visit. I went in on a day I believed was to be the day of trial and was told that the date was passed, and my claim had been struck out. What can I do? I need the Courts to help me get back my monies from my sister who borrowed from me.

Nehemiah Johnson (real name withheld)

RESPONSE: Dear Nehemiah,

You have nothing to worry about. You should go to the Court and ask for assistance from the Court clerks to reopen your matter. Sometimes if not most, they will recommend for you to start a new case depending on your circumstances. You will need to file your claim and serve the documents again so that a new date can be confirmed and your matter brought before the Court. All the best!

Legal Wiz


  • Jamaica Legal Wiz

    A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here

    View all posts