Suey Mein (Sui Mein) is one of those dishes that every Chinese Jamaican should know how to cook. The broth filled with noodles, shrimp, vegetables and Cantonese-style roast pork (Cha Su) and chicken is a meal in it of itself. It is little bit of everything in a bowl. It is typically served with a hot sauce made with scotch bonnet peppers and mushroom soy sauce. The sauce is dropped in the soup.
You will not find this soup on any regular Chinese Restaurant as it is unique to Jamaica. The Chinese-Jamaican community on the island created this soup. It is a favorite at Jamaican-Chinese restaurants. Eating it requires you alternating between a soup spoon and a fork. Hope you enjoy my Jamaican Chinese Suey Mein Recipe.
- Roasted chicken breasts (2) and (4) wings, sliced or chopped, with bones and skin
- 1 ½ pound Chinese Roast Pork (Cha Su) sliced in small bits
- 2 egg rolls (thinly sliced)
- 1 ½ pound Shrimp
- 2 rolls fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 8 head baby bok choy
- Chopped scallions
- Shredded carrots
- 8 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock for soup base (can use other kinds of stock)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy to taste
- Bring the chicken stock to boil and flavor with soy sauce & sugar.
- Keep the chicken stock hot on the stove.
- In a separate pot boil water and add the noodles
- Cook the noodles to your preferred texture (I typically cook for 3 minutes. Do not overcook)
- Put the noodles in each soup bowl
- Slowly pour the chicken stock mixture into the soup bowl. (The noodles should be covered by the stock)
- Top the noodles with the meat, egg rolls and vegetables. Garnish with chopped scallions and shredded carrots.
Serve the hot with Jamaican Chines sauce
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion diced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper diced
- 3 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mix the onion, pepper and garlic in the mushroom soy sauce
- Heat vegetable oil in small saucepan until very hot.
- Immediately pour the vegetable oil on top of the mushroom soy sauce mixture.
- Stir the mixture well