If you love and miss Jamaican style ice cream this simple recipe is for you. Use this easy recipe to make Jamaican Rum Ice Cream Recipe.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dark rum (Jamaican Appleton Rum)
- 2 – 3 eggs (depending on their size)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 7/8 teaspoon salt
- an ice cream machine
- ice cream salt for ice cream machine
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App.
- Place eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk, whip eggs until frothy.
- Add 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and whisk until well blended. Set to the side.
- Place milk, cream, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until hot, but do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Combine the cream into the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture reaches 175 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read candy thermometer. Again – DO NOT BOIL.
- Immediately remove from heat and strain the mixture through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a metal bowl.
- Add the rum and stir until blended. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 6 to 20 hours, but do not hold the mixture more than 24 hours before making the ice cream.
- Transfer the mixture to the container for the ice cream machine and freeze according the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ice cream may be stored in an air-tight container in the freezer for about 7 days.
- MAKES 1 QUART OF ICE CREAM