Jamaica Trip Report: Day 3 – The Blue House, Mystic Mountain

We were up in time for the 9:00 am breakfast at The Blue House.  Breakfast consisted of Ackee & Saltfish, Fried Breadfruit, toasted hardo bread, pak choy and freshly squeezed orange juice. Coffee and tea was available in the dining area. We had breakfast close to the balcony where there were 2 bird feeders parallel to each other. Humming Birds (Doctor birds) were going back and forth from the trees to the feeder.  I kept trying to get a good picture of the birds. They were very fast and it was difficult. I changed camera settings (F-stop, ISO etc) a few times but still could not get a good shot. I recruited my daughter who recently took a photography class at her high school. She took a few shots and got some good photographs.

We spent most of the morning at The Blue House as I had a cousin who was going to meet us there. I “lazed” around the property sitting in a blue chair near the entry gate. I watched the doctor birds flying back and forth and enjoyed the cool breeze that was coming from the coast. You could see the coast line from the property. My cousin came and we were off to the Mystic Mountain.

David, who worked at The Blue House helped to take some of us Mystic Mountain as my cousin’s car could not hold everyone.

There was traffic going into Ocho Rios. It took us about 15 minutes to get to Mystic Mountain. It was crowded as there were 2 Norwegian Cruise Line ships that came into Ocho Rios that morning. It took us about 20 minutes to get in. We were going to do the Bobsled Ride, the lift and the zip line.
The line to the lift was not long. The lift was approximately 30 minutes long and provided some great scenic views of Ocho Rios bay where the 2 Norwegian Cruise Line ships docked.

When we got to the top we headed directly to the Bobsled ride as the line seemed long. It took us about 25 minutes to get to the front of the line and into the bobsled (see video at the end). It was a great ride taking your through the forest. It was a little longer than I expected which was great for my kids.
Next we walked around the park as there were exhibits and information about Jamaica and also the bobsled team. There was also an area for Humming Birds and again I tried to catch a few photos of them.

We ate at the restaurant in the park. The food was expensive, small portioned and not that great.  I ordered a pork sandwich that came with fries. The one thing my wife enjoyed was the cup of vegetarian peas soup she ordered before the meal came. We also had a very pleasant waiter named “Star” who my wife joked around with.  They went back and forth “drawing cards” on each other. When we left she took a picture with him.
We walked around for a little while before going to the Zip line.

There was a lot of equipment that you had to put on before getting on the ride.  It took about 20 minutes to get all the equipment and instructions before joining the group we would be going on the zip line with. 

It was late evening and we would be the last group to go on the zip line. My family was the first of the group to go. I went first so I could get my children once I reached the first platform. I stepped off the launching area not knowing what to expect. It was faster than I expected.  We did 3 platforms and one drop. It went really fast and the staff was great.

The last platform ended at a lift station that took us back to the entry to Mystic Mountain.We waited less than 5 minutes before we saw David pulling into the entrance to pick us up. We said our goodbyes to our family and then we were off to The Blue House.

We arrived at The Blue House just in time for dinner time at 7:00 PM.  Tonight Chef Darryl made Chinese food. There was sweet & sour shrimp, oriental beef, white rice, mixed Chinese vegetable (baby corn, mushroom etc), and a huge steamed snapper fish. Elise joined us for dinner.
Dessert was yellow cake with a lychee filling. The dinner was delicious.

After dinner the kids wanted to go to the pool. My wife and I sat in the pool side chairs and relaxed while they swam.