Judge didnt help me with children of dead tenant

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
An old lady who I rented the apartment is now dead, but her children refuse to come out. No reason, they just feel they are entitled to be there forever. I went to the parish court because I had given her notice before she died and the Judge just said “Sorry, I cannot help you today”. I need the children out of my house, so whats the next step.
Mark Tennant


RESPONSE: Dear Mark,
Its simple a matter of issuing a notice, whether they are paying you rent or not. When that 30 day notice expires just visit the nearest parish court and they’ll guide you on the steps to evict them.
Legal Wiz


The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more