Founded in 2010 by British Jamaican Elaine Bandele, Powerful Measures is a new not for profit youth development foundation. We deliver free career development services to young people aged 35 years and under living in Jamaica. At Powerful Measures our services aim to combat the sense of hopelessness some young people often feel, when thinking about their future. Via our services we guide young people and change ‘paralyzing beliefs’ into new empowered ways of seeing themselves in today’s world. We also encourage them to ‘actively’ work towards achieving already established and, new found goals.
Millions of people around the world have benefitted from Jamaica’s vibrant culture and awesome landscapes. Now is the time for us to come together, as one, to ensure that the young people in Jamaica see the prosperity and richness of their land, in their own lives.
Our vision is to create a Jamaican society where young people are empowered, self determined and confident enough to achieve to their fullest potential, regardless of their background or current circumstances; thus, actively engaging in our local and global society.
Our objectives are to offer the following services to the local community groups, government agencies and schools.
- Interactive career development seminars and workshops.
- One to one and group sessions in; resume writing, career mapping, interview techniques, employability skills and business development (Inc entrepreneurship).
- Voluntary work experience.
- Peer career advisor training.
In 2011 we delivered a range of interactive seminars and workshops to High Schools across St. Ann.
In 2012 we delivered a ‘St. Ann Youth Career Development Drive’ for one week across St. Ann (in Alexandria, Browns Town, Steer Town and Bamboo). By partnering with government agencies, NGO’s and volunteers from Jamaica and England, we successfully offered free one to one resume writing and career mapping consultations to over 70 young people aged 35 and under.
How to volunteer
- By delivering workshops and seminars about your profession or specialism to a community group or High School.
- By volunteering at our next St. Ann Career Development Drive in February 2013. We need people who are; great at writing resumes and CV; careers advisors or are professionals within any trade.
How to donate
As we are a start up organization we are currently accepting goods and services only. Thus you can donate by;
- Mentoring a young person for one hour a week for six weeks, via telephone, BBM voice note or Skype.
- Donating your books – We are developing a careers resource centre and thus accepting books relating to hobbies, work, specialist industries, encyclopedias, personal development, creative writing, trade magazines and of course career development.
- Delivering workshops and seminars relating to your profession or specialism, to a community group or High School.
Please visit our website at www.powerfulmeasures.com telephone Elaine on UK + 44 2081336122 or email [email protected]o.uk