Roti is a type of bread popular in South Asia as well as the Caribbean. Similar in appearance to a Mexican tortilla, it is made with wheat flour and no leavening. In Jamaica roti is often eaten with a filling of curry goat or curry chicken.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Flour for dusting
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the water gradually, working the dough into a soft, smooth texture.
- Let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into six pieces and shape into round balls, or “loyahs.”
- Using your fingers, flatten each loyah into a 3-inch disk.
- Brush each disk on one side with oil and dust with flour.
- Using a griddle or thick-based frying pan, place two disks together with their oiled sides touching and flatten to 4-inch double disks.
- Let rest on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Dust a rolling pin and rolling surface with additional flour and roll out into 8-inch disk.
- Flip and dust with more flour. remove excess flour and transfer to the pan or griddle.
- Bake on the flat surface until small bubbles appear.
- Turn with spatula and brush with oil.
- Turn over and brush the other side with oil.
- Bake 1 minute.
- Fill with curry goat or curry chicken