Jamaican Pumpkin rice with Saltfish is one of the quickest, tastiest one pot dishes you can make. It is mainly done on a lazy day when no one wants to cook a big meal. Feeling lazy today? Check out our Jamaican Pumpkin rice with Saltfish rice recipe today.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- ½ lb. Cod fish/salt fish
- ½ lb diced pumpkin
- 2 tsp. Vegetable oil or Olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 ½ cups water
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper
- A sprig of thyme
- 2 stalk scallions, chopped
- 2 -3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Optional – used to taste )
Get our recipes on your mobile phone. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Buy the cook book “Simple Jamaican Cooking”. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our online store.
- Soak (6 hours) or boil Cod fish/salt fish to remove most of the salt
- Drain the water
- Remove the Cod fish/salt fish and place in a dish.
- “Pick up” (break in to small portions and remove any bones) Cod fish/salt fish and Set aside
- Peel pumpkin and dice
- Add to water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil while boiling.
- Cook until pumpkin is fully cooked (soft…easily mashed with a fork).
- Add rice and all the other ingredients except the Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
- Mix while it’s cooking to distribute the color
- Add the whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper after 20 minutes on top of the rice. If you want spicy rice dice the Scotch Bonnet Pepper and add directly to the rice & mix.
- Steam for 25-30 more minutes or until done.
- Taste to ensure that the rice is seasoned
- Serves 4 -6 people.