Advice & Help

Squatter is trying to be a landlord and evict me

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,
I live on a piece of land and recently found out that the man who is collecting my rent is not the owner. He is a squatter. The owner is new and gave them the go ahead to remain there for a while.
Now this squatter turned landlord is threatening to give me notice and get rid of me after I built up a nice house.
I cant afford to leave, but the owner is proposing that I stop paying rent and buy the portion that I live on. They want me to pay too much money though.

RESPONSE: Dear Bruce,
As long as you are there you will be hassled. So if you dont intend to move, get something in writing from the person who has rights. It is being suggested that you ask the owner to give you a lease to purchase agreement. That way if the squatter turned landlord take you to court, you can produce it as a defense.

Legal Wiz

The above does not constitute legal advice. Inhouse senior journalists research and discuss with specialists eg attorneys-at-law, as necessary before posting responses. In conclusion, names are changed at times by request.


For attorney-support services (including research, documentation, collections, legwork, agent, property overseer, housesitter, follow ups et al) in Jamaica you may call 876-530-5744 or 305-648-6963 or simply write to [email protected] to make private arrangements beyond the commitment of this mediahouse.
Critically the Legal Wiz networks professionals from fields in the interest of all Jamaicans and persons relating with Jamaicans.
Physical office is at Suite # 1, 3 South Avenue, Swallowfield, Kingston 5, Jamaica West Indies. Rates may apply. See more

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here