The Jamaican motto “Out of Many One People” can also be modified for our cuisine to “Out of many one pot”. The Chinese came to Jamaica in the mid-19th century as migrant workers. The Chinese influence on Jamaican cooking can be found in many of our cuisines. There is nothing like Chinese food “Jamaican Style”. Try our Sweet and Sour fish recipe.
- 2 pounds fish fillets
- 2 sprig thyme
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice/pimento
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
Ingredients for the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- ½ Cup tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Wash the fish cubes with vinegar
- Season with onion, thyme, black pepper, salt, allspice/pimento and garlic
- Set aside in room temperature for 1/2 hour
- Beat egg and set aside
- Mix garlic salt with flour
- Dip fish cubes in egg and then batter in the flour
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside
- Combine ketchup/tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, pineapple chunks and bell pepper cubes.
- Bring the sweet and sour to a mixture boils then add the corn starch mixture to thicken. Then add the fish.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Photo – Karen Lee-Murphy