Am I eligible for NHT refund in Jamaica from London

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,

I have been living in London and would love to collect my refund from National Housing Trust (NHT) in Jamaica. I worked with a government office for five years from 2002-2007, and been here in London since. Can you tell me how?

Caramella Brown


RESPONSE: Dear Caramella,

Based on the facts you outline, you are not eligible for a refund for all five years as yet. Refunds are due in the eighth year after the year to be claimed. You worked from 2002-2007. You will be able to collect from 2002-2005 in 2013. In 2014, you will be able to collect refund for the year 2006, and in 2015, you will be able to collect refund for the year 2007.

Please note the following

– you can apply online by going to the website of the NHT

– you must be able to prove that contributions have been deducted from his salary.

– you must prove that contributions [by written documents supplied by Employer] had been paid over to the Trust by the relevant employer.Your employer should have also filled a complete and accurate annual return, documenting the payments made for his employees, with the Trust.

Legal Wiz