The boiled yellow yam is a Jamaican staple and is rumored to be the “fuel” for Jamaican sprinters. The fried boiled yam is a favorite of many Jamaicans and is typically cooked at the same time with fried boiled dumpling. The yellow yam has to be cooked first and left overnight before it is fried. Here is our recipe for fried boiled yellow yam.
- Boiled Yellow Yam slices cooked overnight (See recipe here)
- Vegetable oil
- Lay the boiled yellow yam on a cutting board & cut/divide each one into 2 parts in the middle (width, not length).
- Heat skillet filled with just enough oil to cover the 1 inch slices.
- Fry boiled yellow yam slices for 2 minutes on each side (do not burn).
- Each slice needs about 4 minute to to cook.
- Place boiled fried yellow yam in a dish layered with napkins so as to drain/soak up the oil.