Jamaicans waste no part of the chicken. The chicken neck is used by many Jamaicans for soup. It is a rich soup that features chicken necks, pumpkins, carrots, yellow yam, Irish potatoes, cho cho and more. Often served as a “Saturday soup”.
- 3 qt. water
- 2 lb. chicken necks
- 1/2 lb. carrots, cubed
- 6 Pimento Seeds/Berries (Allspice)
- 1/4 lb. turnips, cubed
- 3 Garlic pegs crushed
- 1 lb. Pumpkin/Squash (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 lb. cho cho/Christophine (cut up into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 lb. yellow yam, cut up
- 3 sprig thyme
- 2 stalks escallion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 packet Jamaican Chicken Noodle or Cock Soup
- 1 Medium Irish Potato (optional)
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Boil chicken necks in 3 qts. water for 15 minutes with pumpkin, cho cho, pimentos, garlic and salt
- Cut up vegetables, yam and cho cho and add with the other ingredients to the pot
- Dumplings/spinners may be added if desired.
- Simmer for ½ hour until yam is cooked (soft but not mushy) and the soup is of a medium consistency.
- Serves 6