Below are the step to obtain duty-free waivers for your charitable donations of gifts to Jamaican Institutions.
- The receiving institution (school/organization) in Jamaica and primary contact person must first be identified by the donor;
- A letter should be sent to the institution (school/organization) from the donor, itemizing the contents of the donation along with a cost estimate;
- A letter must be written to the Minister of Finance and Planning (Hon. Audley Shaw, 28 National Heroes Circle, Kingston 4) petitioning him for a duty-free waiverto be applied to those items which are to be charitably distributed in Jamaica;
- The letter of petition to the Honorable Minister should clearly detail the description and cost of each item of donation;
- Items identified for charitable donation in Jamaica should only be shipped subsequent to receipt of a duty-free waiver from the Minister of Finance;
- Typically, once the letter of petition has been mailed to the Minister of Finance, a response should be received from his office within five (5) weeks.
If you have any further concerns, contact:
THE CONSULATE OF JAMAICA
C.P. Ricardo Allicock, Consul General
305-374- 8431 or [email protected]
CONSULATE GENERAL OF JAMAICA
767 Third Ave, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10017-2993
Tel: (212) 935-9000 Fax: (212) 935-7507
Source: Jamaican Diaspora Southern U.S.