Jamaicans love plantains. In the Caribbean plantains are mainly boiled or fried but are versatile enough to be used in cookies. Our green plantain cookies are a tropical treat topped with cherries for a colorful accent.
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange rind, grated
- 3 cups green plantain, shredded
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg. Mix well.
- Add spices and flavorings.
- Then add the shredded plantain.
- Add to a food processor and puree until the batter is smooth
- Gradually add the flour and baking powder to the plantain mixture.
- Pipe onto baking sheets. Decorate with cherries, if desired. Bake until done.