Gungo Peas Soup is a Jamaican favorite. It is a rich Jamaican soup that features beef, pig tails, gungo peas, yellow yam and more. Often served as a “Saturday soup”.
- 1½ lb stew beef bone (with meat on it) or cubed stew beef
- 1 lb salted pig tail
- 2 cups Gungo Peas green (dried or frozen Gungo peas can be used)
- 3 sprig thyme
- 2 stalks scallion
- 8 pimento (all spice) seeds
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 qt water
- 3 medium small irish potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 garlic pegs (crushed)
- ½ cup carrots, cubed (optional)
- 1 lb. yellow yam, cut up (optional)
- Flour for spinners/dumplings (optional)
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.
- Soak peas in cold water to soften (preferably overnight).
- Soak salted pigtail in cold water to get rid of excess salt (preferably overnight).
- Place the pig tail, beef, and Gungo peas in a large sauce pan with boiling water. (Optional – use a pressure cooker to save time)
- Simmer for about two hours or until beans and meat are tender.(Using a pressure cooker would take 30 minutes. Then transfer to a large sauce pan)
- Add the potatoes, yam, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, pimento (all spice), scotch bonnet peppers and hot pepper
- Stir the soup and simmer for ½ hour before adding spinners/dumplings (optional) & carrot (optional)
- Simmer for another ½ hour until the soup is of a medium consistency. Serve hot.