Advice & Help

How can I take over from my aged, senile relative in Jamaica?

QUESTION: Dear Legal Wiz,

I take care of an elderly and very sick relative as her next of kin. I take care of all financial  affairs and medical affairs. She is quite senile and can no longer make major decisions regarding her care. She is therefore not able to recommend me as to apply for Power of Attorney.  What are the possibilities of this being done?

I need access to bank accounts as her nursing care expenses are climbing as her health deteriorates.

I await your urgent response.

Rochelle Marion

ANSWER: Dear Rochelle Marion,

Thank you for emailing our team. You will need to apply for guardianship through the Supreme Court. To do this you will need the assistance of a legally trained person to prepare your application package as well as present your arguments. An attorney is recommended.


Legal Wiz

About the author

Jamaica Legal Wiz

A network of professional experts, mostly Jamaicans, from varied fields including as priority paralegal, investigation, research, real estate, construction, arts and entertainment, certified Attorneys (civil and criminal law), journalism. Information is researched, then published, on this site, in the interest of the wider public. Link me here