Advice & Help

Immigration Q & A: Am I old enough to file a green card application for my husband?

Q: I am an 18 year old citizen of the United States. I met a 41 year old man while on vacation in Jamaica and married him. I want to file a green card application for my husband . I old enough to do this? Will there be any problems? – Elizabeth L.

Answer: As you are eighteen then you are of legal age to marry whomever you please. As such the law permits a U.S. Citizen to marry a person of another residence and apply for them to live within the United States of America. This is achieved by filing for your spouse and then petitioning for them to reside in the United States. The only difficulties you may face is that based on the age difference between you and your spouse there may be additional scrutiny that this is a bona fide marriage versus a sham marriage for the purposes of your spouse getting a green card. To achieve this you may be scrutinized more heavily and as such you should be ready to provide documentation and proof such as:  wedding pictures, wedding invitations, joint bank accounts, gifts, joint ownerships etc. Any documentation and evidence that may prove a bona fide marriage should be made readily available when submitting your petition.

Everyone please remember that we write these immigration articles to provide a service to you. We want our articles to address immigration questions and concerns that you want to hear about. If you have a question or an immigration topic that you would like to learn more about you can contact me directly at 954-655-6593 or via email at: [email protected]

Disclaimer: This article is a broad overview. This article is not legal advice and should not be taken as legal advice. This article is provided as a public service and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on the information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information provided in this article should never replace informed counsel when specific immigration-related guidance is needed. 

About the author

Andre Maragh Esq.